background

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

The Spinster's Secret by Emily Larkin

So, Monday I finished reading The Spinster's Secret by Emily Larkin. So, the past couple of days I have been thinking what to say about this book. Here I am with what the story is about and my thoughts.

Matilda Chapple (Mattie) has been left in an unfortunate way and has to live with her family. I wouldn't call her family warm or loving, but cold and uncaring. They believe that Mattie should count her blessing she has a roof over her head.

However, Mattie has a plan to escape the clutches of her family and the dreary home she lives in. She has been secretly writing the adventures of a courtesan. Shocking, I know. However, her uncle, Sir Arthur, has found one of her letters (but doesn't know it's Mattie) and wants to run out the courtesan from the area.

Edward Kane came to pay his respects to his friend's family. He felt he owed them that much. During this time, Sir Arthur asks Edward to help find this courtesan and get her out of his town.

Honestly, I found the The Spinster's Secret a bit dark and dreary. I think a lot of it has to do with setting at Creed Hall. The place just seemed to suck the life out of a person. I liked the story, but just didn't love it. I actually liked when all hell broke loose and secrets were spilt. Overall, there is a lot of potential for Ms. Larkin writing. The Spinster's Secret was written well, but just didn't grab me. If you like a darker romance, I would suggest The Spinster's Secret.

Rating:


Purchase Links:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble


No comments:

Post a Comment