background

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Lass Wore Black by Karen Ranney

So the past couple days I have been reading The Lass Wore Black by Karen Ranney. I'm not going to lie, but I wanted to read this book because of the cover. Yep, it was the cover that did me. Without further ado let me share the book and my thoughts.

Catriona Cameron renowned for her beauty until one fateful night when that all change. Severely scarred, Catriona decided to go into exile in Scotland. Withering away, her aunt decides to enlist the help of the local doctor, Mark Thorburn. However, Catriona has no desire to see the doctor, so Mark decides to masquerade as a footman and slowly gain her trust.

All right might thoughts:

First off I found the story a bit slow at the beginning. I guess, I'm not a fan of "oh pity me, I'm not pretty anymore" books. For the first half of the story she's just wallowing in self misery. The only saving grace was Mark and how he didn't take any of her guff. I love the line that he dishes out to her "One can surmise that you're no longer beautiful. Either that, or you've found God, but since you're a mean and surly hermit. I doubt that's the answer." Basically calling her a shallow person. It wasn't until the middle of the story that it started to get interesting and Catriona starts to become a better person and starts to learn that beauty isn't everything.

Overall, it was an all right read. As I said at the beginning I loved the cover and the titled intrigued me. I guess I was looking for more action, because majority of the story takes place in Scotland. When I think of Scotland, I guess I'm expecting action. Maybe I shouldn't jump to that conclusion. Oh well. It wasn't bad, The Lass Wore Black was an all right read, which did get better as the story went along. I guess it just wasn't what I was looking for. However, it might be something you might like. So, if you are looking for a read where the heroine is a tad bit shallow and overcomes that challenge, you might be tempted to read The Lass Wore Black.

Rating:
1/2



Purchase Links:
Amazon | Barnes & Noble

No comments:

Post a Comment