background

Friday, September 27, 2013

Interview with Lily Dalton

I would like to welcome Lily Dalton, the author of Never Desire a Duke, to What I'm Reading.


Hello Lily. How are you today?
I’m doing great! I hope you are as well!

I’m so glad you are able to be with us today.  So, how does it feel to have your debut novel Never Desire a Duke to be out in the wild?
 It’s exciting! And yes, a little nerve-wracking. As an author, I feel a very strong commitment to my readers, and want them to feel happy and engaged, and yes—thrilled by reading my book! It’s very satisfying to hear someone say they’ve connected with the characters or story, or even better, lost sleep because they couldn’t stop reading.

For those who haven’t a gotten a chance to read Never Desire a Duke can you share what it’s about?
Never Desire a Duke opens with the across-a-crowded-ballroom reunion of a married couple who has been estranged for quite some time. The pain of tragedy has driven them apart to a place where there seems there is just no hope for reconciliation. An unexpected snowstorm forces them to confront not only their past, but the consuming attraction between them that has never died. But they are both smart characters, and know passion isn’t enough to guarantee a promise of forever…

There were several themes I wanted to explore with this story. One: As romance readers, we all love the idea of winning the heart of a bad boy, of a rogue. But what happens once we’ve won them? I’d think there might be some complications, and that maybe sometimes the past doesn’t go quietly away. Another theme was the whole idea of marital love. Sophia and Vane, when they first married, were wildly in love with one another. But there are stressors in all marriages. We see it today, all the time. Once the heady first days of “the honeymoon” are over, love either evolves and strengthens or it falls apart. I wanted to explore those complexities a bit, and poor Vane and Sophia were the ones who had to suffer for it! J

Would characters Lady Sophia and Lord Claxton be willing describe each other for my readers?
Sure! I’ve asked them to describe how they perceive each other at the very beginning of NEVER DESIRE A DUKE.

Claxton describing Sophia: Sophia as a young, new bride enchanted me. But Sophia as a woman, has become my heart’s obsession. She is beautiful and smart and strong, not to mention passionate. For the first time in my life, “forever” doesn’t seem long enough.

Sophia describing Claxton: Claxton is dark and brooding and mysterious and everything my young heart once desired. Now that my heart has been broken, he is my fantasy and my nightmare all at once. Though I have no desire to see him…he never leaves my thoughts. Sometimes I catch a glimmer of the hero I need him to be, but I don’t know if it’s real or something my hopeful heart wants to see.

Now that Never Desire a Duke has been released have you been working on anything new and if so can you share or is it still a secret?
Ahhh! NEVER ENTICE AN EARL is written, and I hope readers will love the story of the middle Bevington sister, and a new earl who has come to London with vengeance in his heart. DUKE took place on a secluded country estate in winter, but EARL is all springtime and London ballrooms (Oh, and one dangerous night in a sordid bawdy-house as well!)

I have asked every author that has been interview on my blog: If you had to write your own autobiography what would your title be and why?
LILY DALTON, WORD SLINGER
Because I love language! It’s so much fun to manipulate and play with, to create different outcomes.

Thank you for stopping by today. Is there anything else you would like to say before you leave today?
I just want to say thank you so much for having me! I sincerely hope everyone loves Never Desire a Duke as much as I loved writing it, and finding out how these characters find their happily-ever-after. I love to hear from readers, so don’t hesitate to zap me an e-mail through my website, www.lilydalton.com, to say hello.

Book Blurb:
Lady Sophia has long been estranged from her husband, Vane Barwick, the Duke of Claxton, whose rumored list of amorous conquests includes almost every beautiful woman of the ton. Yet a single touch is all it takes to reawaken her furious passion for him. But how can she trust the man who crushed her dreams and took away the one thing she wanted most?

Claxton has never forgiven himself for the youthful mistake that ruined his marriage to Sophia. Now, after nearly a year abroad, the reformed rogue vows to win back the only woman he's ever truly loved. He'll do whatever it takes to prove he can be the honorable husband she deserves-and the passionate lover she desires.



Bio: Lily Dalton grew up as an Army brat, moving from place to place. Her first stop after relocating was always the local library, where she could hang out with familiar friends: Books! Lily has an English degree from Texas A & M University and after graduation worked as a legal assistant in the fields of accident reconstruction and litigation. She now lives in Houston, Texas, with her family. When she isn't at work on her next manuscript, she spends her time trying out new recipes, cheering on her favorite Texas football teams and collecting old dishes, vintage linens and other fine "junque" from thrift stores and flea markets.

Buy links:

Social Media:


No comments:

Post a Comment