background

Saturday, December 15, 2012

His Mistletoe Bride by Vanessa Kelly

YAY! Another Christmas book knocked down! That's right I'm making progress. Anyways, I just finished a charming and unique story, His Mistletoe Bride by Vanessa Kelly. Here's what makes the story unique:

Born in America, Phoebe Linville had been summon to meet her grandfather, the Earl of Merritt and get to know her English relatives. I know what your thinking, that's not very unique, come on we have read plenty of books with young American heroines coming across the pond. Being American is only half it, what makes this story unique is the fact Phoebe was raised a Quaker. Never thought you would see that coming. Honestly, I never saw that coming.

So, Phoebe being a Quaker kinda makes this story a little more interesting. I mean with her using the word "thee." It's one thing to be an American, but it's another when you are using a form of english that is a tad bit archaic. Anyways. She arrives to England to find out that she made a journey a little to late, when she hears her grandfather had pass away while she was traveling.

Major Lucas Stanton, the bearer of bad news, informs Phoebe of what transpire and hope that she would stay to get to know her English relatives and possibly form a union with him. You know how well that would go over, telling the girl her grandfather died and he wished that they marry. That went over real well.

So, that's the quick start of the story. However, of course there is more to the story than my quick little sum up. Honestly, I liked Phoebe and how naïve she sees the world, very child-like. I think being a Quaker shelter her from a jaded world. Some people might not like Phoebe, because of innocent outlook; however, I found it refreshing. Then you have Lucas who is thrown into being the Earl of Merritt, and not really prepare for the responsibility of being an Earl. Some people might view him  overbearing at times, but it fits his former life as a military man.

I actually liked that the hero and heroine being polar opposite. I mean you have Lucas who is very ridge and with the mind set of "it's my way or the highway." Then you have Phoebe who is sweet and kind and more like "lets see if we can come a place where we can agree on." That just spells trouble from the start.

Overall, I enjoyed the book. It was interesting to see Phoebe and Lucas come to terms on how to make their marriage work. The other things you get to look forward in the book are: the smuggling ring. Nothing like having a smuggling problem. Then the manor itself. What doesn't scream Christmas more than having a home called Mistletoe Manor? Seriously, very christmasy. That's not all, but the staff with the last name Christmas. I know that may be silly, but that makes it funny. So, I hope you get a chance to checkout His Mistletoe Bride for a christmasy book. I hope you are having a wonderful season and I will see you all soon.

Rating:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment