background

Sunday, April 27, 2014

A Month Behind in Celebrating my Blogaversary


Well, it has been two years since I started What I'm Reading. Within those two years I have learned a lot and still learning. Still not as big as some of the blogs, but I'm okay with that. I still have to remind myself that I started this blog for myself. Mainly I wanted to keep track of all the books I have read. I'm amazed on how many books I have read within the two year span. I want to thank those who were willing to take a chance on me and willing to let them review their books.

I guess this would be a good opportunity to share somethings I have learn over the course of two years:

1) Learn what the publishing houses produce and what imprint they use for certain lines. 

The past couple weeks I have been glancing at people reviews and seeing what they didn't like about the book. Yes, I tend to look at the one and two star reviews more often than the five. Here is why: Do they have a valid point or just trying to knock someone down a peg or two? More times or not it's something ridiculous. For instance: "It was too graphic in the sex." Then I will check the publisher and imprint. I just want to say "DUH!" See check the imprint and publishing house and this way you won't be surprise on what you're reading.

2) Learn what you like.

You are not doing anyone any favors by reading something you don't like. Unless you can be completely impartial, don't do it. When I started I tried to try knew things and it just was a waste of my time. Plus, I'm not helping anyone, because I already have developed a bias already. Plus I have learn you tend to put off the book if you are not a fan of that particular style or genre.

3) Be Honest.

Honestly, I hate when people add at the end of their review saying they got this copy free and this is their honest review of the book. Frankly, I would hope you are honest even if you got the book for free. Yes, I will put at the end of my reviews that I got a review copy from so & so, but I would like to think that I was completely honest in my thoughts.

4) A Book is not always for everyone.

I know this is hard to acknowledge at times, but it's true. You may have read one book and think it's the best book in the world, while someone may have not had the same experience as you did. I know that sometimes that is hard to swallow. You just needed to swallow your pride and suck it up. Not everyone is going to love the book the same way as you do or hate the book the same way you do.

5) Have Fun.

I think sometimes we get bogged down with everything that we try to do with the blog. Sometimes it maybe overwhelming, and those are times to step back and breathed. If you forget to post a blog post the world will still keep on turning. Just posted when you remember it. Trust me the world will not end if it doesn't make it on time. Aim to try again.

These are things I have learned over the two year span. Will the next year be the same? Who knows. Will I have more things to add to my list? Not sure. I hope I will be trucking along.

2 comments:

  1. Happy Blogoversary! :)

    Congratulations on two years of blogging, and here's to many more fun years to come, full of inappropriate jokes and historical fruits. And sexy men, of course! :)

    Enjoy,
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Blogoversary, Melody!

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete