background

Sunday, May 12, 2013

The Vacant Chair by Kaylea Cross

Last night I decided to start The Vacant Chair by Kaylea Cross. I really wasn't feeling like reading, so I had to put the book down. I'm kind of glad I did, because this book demanded my full attention. I don't say this to often, but I couldn't put The Vacant Chair down today. I had to finish it. A stellar read. I'm not kidding. Normally, I don't go towards Civil War time frame books. Let's be honest, I tend to read a lot of Regency or Victorian, but this was amazing. Seriously, worth the time.

First off, LOVED the story! We first meet Brianna Taylor who happens to be a widow during the Civil War. After she lost her husband she decided to help the cause by becoming a nurse. She could have wallow in herself pity and said, "Oh poor me, I lost my husband." No; she didn't. All she cared about was improving the conditions in these makeshift hospitals. What a strong heroine! I love that she put everyone else's needs before hers.

By a chance encounter, the hero Captain Justin Thompson happens to help Brianna and her friend out. Which is good thing, because the time came when he needed help and she was there to save him. So, the attraction begins while he was recuperating from his injuries.

Honestly, I can go on and on about how great The Vacant Chair is. Truly not a story you want to miss. I was mesmerized by the story from the beginning to the end. Plus, I think the Civil War setting was perfect for this story. You get a great sense that war is an ugly thing, but at the same time good things can happen. What a great romance! You see how the relationship is built between Brianna and Justin. Yes, a great read! So, if you are looking for a captivating story set in the Civil War, please read The Vacant Chair, because it's marvelously written.

Copy provided through Lit Connect

Rating:


Purchase links:
Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment