background

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis

Really early this morning I finished, It Had to Be You by Jill Shalvis. Well, if you don't know, this is the book selection for HEA Book Club. Yep, it's that time of the month again. As I say every month, everyone is welcome to join the chat even if you haven't read the book. Plus, you get to chat with the author on these chats. So, if you are looking for some super fun join us at Harlequin Junkie tomorrow at 6PM PST/ 9PM EST.

As you can see I barely made it. Fortunately, I was able to finish it on time away from home. I guess I should thank my tire for being low and not going anywhere yesterday so I could finish It Had to Be You. Anyways, my thoughts on the story.

I going to be honest the story kind of reminded me of another Jill book I just read (actually listened) last month. By the way loved that book. Anyways, it kind of reminded me of Animal Attraction in some ways and in some ways it is different. The things that made the story similar were the hero and heroine of the story. Here's what I found: Heroes: both were trying to escape their past and thought the best solution was to leave the area; only returning when they deem necessary. Plus, they are both commit-phobic. Heroines: both were tend to put others needs above their own. They both have huge hearts of gold. Both finding themselves in trouble and needing help, but can't admit they need help.

All right, my thoughts on It Had to Be You alone. First off, I felt really bad for Ali Winters. After all, her rat bastard of an ex-boyfriend who did the ultimate faux pas breaking up by text. Seriously, who does that. I tell you who, rat bastards who can't keep his pecker in his pants while screwing half the town (sorry that might be a spoiler). There is more the cheating rat bastard, but I think what I said is good enough. Anyways; you would think that  she would be all dark and gloomy after all the crap she goes through. Nope, she's like Miss Merry Sunshine. I love Ali's postive thinking. I love how she sum up it by saying:
“I’m not defined by someone I thought I was dating, Luke, or what I do for a living. I’m not defined by what people think of me. My happiness comes from within, and I—...I know I might look like a ball of fluff, but I’m not. Not even close. And the fact that I get up each morning and put a damn smile on my face is the same as…Batman putting on his cape.”
 Seriously, I love her and how she decides to be happy no matter what happens to her life.

Now Luke Hanover is the polar opposite to Ali's Miss Merry Sunshine kind of attitude. You would consider him a glass half-empty kind of guy. However, I love how Ali puts Luke in his place. Other than that I really do like the commit-phobic guy who captures Ali's heart and willing to put everything on the line to save her. Even when she doesn't believe she needs help or saving.

Overall, I enjoyed It Had to Be You. I love Ali and Luke and of course the town people. Plus, Luke has some fun nicknames. My personal favorite is geriatic detective of Lucky Harbor. So, if you are looking for a stud muffin of a dectective and Miss Merry Sunshine, you might want to give It Had to Be You a try.

Copy provided by the publisher

Rating:
4 Stars

1 comment: