background

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh

I got a chance to read Shield of Winter by Nalini Singh. I must confess that I haven't read the previous books. I know, but I honestly didn't believe I would be selected to read this from Penguin First to Read program. I went in with the attitude if I get "cool", if I didn't I was okay with that. Then I get the email saying I was selected. Then I actually saw the glossary in the front of the book and started to panic and thinking "What the hell did I get myself into." So, there's my initial thought. However, I needed to read Shield of Winter cause I committed to reading the book. With all that said, I have to say that I thought the book was fantastic. Yes, I was somethings that were troubling at times, because I was muddling through this blindly. I think I did all right. So, let me proceed on.

At the beginning of the story, we find Silence has been broken. If I had read the previous books I would know life before this happen, but I didn't and I had to move forward. However, things are a bit chaotic and they are Psy's are trying to find a way to stabilize what is going on, because their race is going psychotic. Basically, the Psy's need to find the Empathy, because they might hold the key to save their race. Of course it's a bit more complex than that.

For someone that hasn't read the previous books, I actually found the story captivating. I'm not saying to anyone who hasn't started to the series to go out get this book, because that wouldn't be wise. After reading Shield of Winter, I want to go back and start from the beginning. I'm amazed on how Nalini has this ability to build this world and suck you into the story. I enjoyed how Vasic and Ivy learn to work together and bond. Cause Vasic is an Arrow and they aren't know for feeling anything. They are basically cold killing machines, and to get paired up with someone that feels everything. It's a pretty hard concept. Ivy is an E-Psy and she feels everything.

Overall, great book. I'm glad I was selected to read Shield of Winter. Now I need to go back and catch up with the rest of the story. I those who have been following the series will still enjoy the storyline and will be anxious to see what comes next.

Copy provided by Penguin via First-to-Read

Rating:

1 comment:

  1. Oh I hope you go back to read the rest of the series -- highly recommend! I'm listening to them on Audio during my daily dog walks, but also own print copies for my keeper shelves. I'm still a few books behind, so I won't dive into this one yet, but I hope to very, very soon. Great review!

    Enjoy,
    TBQ

    ReplyDelete