background

Saturday, June 14, 2014

eBooks verse Books and Ratings


Last night I was trying to decide what to read. I know I have a lot to read, so I was having a little trouble deciding. I started looking at one of the books that has been sitting on my Kindle, and I decided to see what other people rated the book. Of course, I went to Amazon to check this out. The book had pretty high ratings, except for one 1 star. Yes, I was curious why the book got that 1 star rating. When I read the reasoning, I was appalled. Honestly, I was angry at the reasoning for the 1 star. Let me just say it had nothing to do with the story, but the format. Grrrr. Seriously, you are going to knock a book way down, because of the format.

I normally don't read 4 or 5 star ratings, because I already know the person loved the book. So, I tend to start with the 1 star and move up the chain. I personally like to see if the person had a valid point for giving a 1 star. If not, then I just assume they are just shooting smoke out their asses. So, I move up the star ladder.

Anyway, this particular person was just shooting smoke out their ass. It got me curious to see if they had any other 1 star rating. Lo and behold they did, and it was because it was digital format. I love that a few people called this person out. Some even commented on that they didn't have to purchase an eReader to read these books, but could read them on the computer. However, this person just wanted to rail the author. Sometimes the author has no control on what the publisher wants to do. I think they are just happy to get their story published.

To blatantly attack an author for what the publisher did is unfair and unjust, and definitely uncalled. One of the authors this person gave a 1 star to, apologize to this person for not having a physical book yet. I'm sorry, but that particular author didn't owe that person an apology, but the other way around.

Here's the deal:
If you are a book only kind of person, more power to you. However, if you are going to knock an author to a 1 star rating, because it's a digital format only, not cool. And you really need to keep your thoughts to yourself. Granted most authors have thick skins, but that's just uncalled. I love all those people who made a comment saying that person was wrong to knock the author's book to a 1 star.

Okay, I'm glad to get that off my chest. I personally will read books in any format. Please rate books on how they make you feel and not on the type of format. So, what are your thoughts? Do you think it's alright to give a 1 star, because it's only an eBook format? Should people rate a book on how they felt and enjoyment?

2 comments:

  1. I do exactly what you do, Melody, and start with the lowest ratings first if I'm undecided about a book. Luckily, I've never found a review that down-rated because of format. I agree with you. That's totally wrong. I read both paper and digital and love them both.

    Marcy Shuler

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marcy, thank you for your comment. It was just weird to see that happen. I was appalled by the reviewers callousness. I'm glad I'm not the only one who starts from the bottom up.

      Delete