background

Sunday, January 27, 2013

A Rogue By Any Other Name by Sarah Maclean

All right, so I just finished the first book in The Rules of Scoundrels series A Rogue by Any Other Name by Sarah Maclean.

The last time we saw Lady Penelope Marbury, she had just ended her engagement to the Duke of Leighton in Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart. Now we jump ahead about eight years later, still unmarried and a disappointment to her family. So, her father had decided to increase her dowry. Oh yeah, nothing like increasing the dowry to make Penelope more appealing.

Michael Henry Stephen, the Marquess of Bourne, lost pretty much everything by the time Penelope got engage and disappear from society. Deciding to rebuild what he had lost and seek out his revenge on Viscount Langford. Then he hears of Penelope's dowry and what it included. He decided to reclaim what was once his and the girl. Nothing like kidnapping the young lady and forcing a marriage on her.

So, when you read this story you need to remember a couple of rules that apply to scoundrels and gambling:

1. Truth is irrelevant. What is relevant is whether or not they believe it.
2. If your opponent makes it impossible for you to lose you should wager.
3. Do not bet what you are not willing to lose.
4. Never ask. Take what you want, when you want it.
5. Last but not least, when in doubt, bluff.

So, this is a re-read for me. Honestly, I had a hard time with the book the first time reading. It is pretty different from the Love by Numbers series, I would say that it is a little darker than the previous series. I guess, because of the setting of the story. How many gaming hells do you know are bright and cheery? None. Anyways, as I started reading this again, I found that I actually liked it more this go around.

Here's why: First off, Penelope. I love how she develops a back bone. Seriously. When we first meet Penelope, she's willing to go with the flow and she really doesn't discover who she could be. When she is forced to marry Michael, she learns that she better take matters into her own hand or end up getting walked all over. Then you have Michael who is carrying this grudge against Langford. Which has been eating at him for years. I love how Penelope basically saves him from himself.

Overall, I did enjoyed this story. I'm glad that I re-read the story. Now I'm ready for the next book. I can't wait to see how Penelope's sister takes down Cross. I enjoy reading Sarah Maclean's book and I hope that you get a chance to check them out. I will talk to you all later.

Rating:
1/2


Purchase Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment