background

Sunday, May 19, 2013

eARC: A Rose in the Storm by Brenda Joyce

I don't know how many of you have read any of Brenda Joyce's books, but they can be a bit of an emotional roller coaster. The last few books I have read by her would have been easier to just to rip my heart and serve it on a platter. Don't get me wrong, they are fantastic reads, just a little rough. However, A Rose in the Storm is a little different from the last few Brenda Joyce books I have read. Still a fantastic read, but a different type of roller coaster. Granted you still get the emotional feel when you read this book, but in a different way.

First off, the setting is in a very turbulent time of Scotland history. Everyone is trying to make a power play and using whoever they can use. Caught in the middle is Lady Margaret Comyn and everyone wants her land. Yet, this lady isn't the missish type, oh no she took a stand against Alexander MacDonald aka The Wolf of Lochaber. The Wolf of Lochaber is known for taking whatever he needs to get. No one stands in his way, but Margaret presents a challenge.

As I said, a very turbulent time. The story has a lot of battles and Margaret is caught in the middle. She tends to be very loyal to her family, but her family is willing to throw her under the bus (sorry I couldn't think of a phrase more suited to this time). Anyways, really a fantastic read. I love how Margaret starts to really understand her situation. It's hard to choose between loyalty to ones family or love. Sometimes loyalty will override love, it shouldn't, but it does. Especially, when alliance is the key to winning the battle.

I have to say, I love Alexander. Even though he is know to be ruthless, he actually does have a good-heart and actually looks for what is best for the whole situation. I love how he treated Margaret more than just a woman with a silly mind, but actually cared about what she thought more so than her betrothed.

A great read and Ms. Joyce has done a fantastic job capturing the love and war that is brewing in Scotland. Yes, you will see a lot backstabbing and changing of loyalties with a dash of love. So, if you are looking for an action pack read, I would suggest reading A Rose in the Storm.

Copy provided by Harlequin via NetGalley

Rating:


Purchase links:
Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Kobo ~ Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment