background

Friday, May 31, 2013

ARC: One Night with a Rake by Connie Mason and Mia Marlowe

I'm seriously impress with myself. However, I have manage to finish One Night with a Rake by Connie Mason and Mia Marlowe in a day. Thank goodness for rainy days, for they are perfect days to read. Anyways; this is the second book in The Royal Rakes series. If you don't know what this series is about here's a quick sum up on the series:

The Royal Dukes are trying to find a young virginal woman to marry and produce an heir (Obviously they want to secure the crown). However, some people don't want to see that happen, so they are blackmailing these rakes to make sure this doesn't come to fruition. One has already been knocked out of the running when she married Lord Rhys Warrick. Now it's up to Lord Nathaniel Colton to take down the next bridal candidate who has caught the eye of the Duke of Cambridge.

All right, I did have a bit a trouble getting into the story at first. I think a lot had to do with I didn't like Lady Georgette Yorkingham at first. I mean she wasn't a bad character, just a bit trying to please everyone else (darn people-pleasers). As I continued the story I started understand why she did the things she did and her character started to make sense. Plus, I started to appreciate her character more. It's amazing what a little information can do when it comes to perception.

Lord Nathaniel really wasn't a bad guy. Actually he's really a decent guy and he didn't really become a rake until after he got back from the war. He seriously took a major emotional hit right before the war and during the war, which cause him to spiral down. Once he started to seduce Georgette, he begins to realize his heart or conscious didn't die all those years ago.

I enjoyed how some of the staff were in a good portion of the story. Which I think enrich the story.

I think these line from the book really summed up what Lady Georgette was really facing, "Life is sweeter when you do the deciding for yourself. When are you going to give that a try?" Once I got into the story I love how the story kept coming back to that point. Yes, a family would be excited to have a Royal Duke checking out their offspring, but at what cost?

Overall, I enjoyed the story. As I said, once I got into the story I really enjoyed it. I truly believe these ladies have done a marvelous job putting the story together. Granted One Night with a Rake can be read as a stand alone, because it is a different Duke from Waking Up with a Rake. However, I think it's more enriching to read in order (just a suggestion). So, if your thing is for rakes you might want to read The Royal Rake series. If you have a thing for rakes with some emotional baggage, you might want to give Nathaniel a try in One Night with a Rake.

Copy provided by the author

Rating:


Purchase links:
Amazon ~ Barnes & Noble ~ Kobo ~ Book Depository

No comments:

Post a Comment