background

Thursday, April 2, 2015

The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress by Erica Ridley (Review)

I have to say that I really liked The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress by Erica Ridley. The main reason I liked the story is Jane. We have Jane who sort of blends into the background like wallflower, and no one notices her. She tends to say outlandish things and no one notices, but Grace. I thought that was pretty funny. However, she never set out to be bluestocking wallflower, but sort fell into that roll. You don't find out the reason until later in the story. Love Jane. Now Xavier is a captain who didn't come back the same after the wall, a shell of a man. Actually, we don't find out the reason until towards the end, and I ended up respecting him more on his views. So, Xavier wants to wall himself from everyone, because he doesn't feel worthy. Yet, Jane isn't going to let him do that.

This was a fun read, because Jane is quick-witted and Xavier doesn't stand a chance. In the story, you see Jane viewing herself plain and unimportant. I felt sorry for Jane, because she never wanted to be in the shadows. Actually, if people got to know her she was funny and sweet, but all they could see is the bluestocking girl. I could see myself relating to Jane. One of Jane's lines I really like was
"I love books." She smiled in the direction of their feet. "I truly do. They may not love me back, but it feels like they do while I'm reading them. Spending the afternoon, with a favorite character gives me more time with someone than I usually get in a month. Before I met Grace, books were the best and only friends I'd had for years. So I spend all the time with that I can."
Kind of heartbreaking. I like Jane and Xavier because they complement one another. However, Xavier doesn't feel like he deserves love and Jane sets out to change his opinion. Overall, The Captain's Bluestocking Mistress was an entertaining read. So, take a journey with independnt Jane on trying capture the heart of a fiercely stubborn captain.

Copy provided by NetGalley (I also purchased a copy).

Rating:
4 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment