background

Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Audiobook Review: Better Homes and Hauntings by Molly Harper


YAY! I have tackled another Blogger Shame book. However, I kind of cheated here, I ended up buying the audiobook and it was good thing. Seriously, I would have given up on Better Homes and Hauntings a long time ago. It's not a bad story, but there's a lot going on in the story. SOOOO much going on, and at times it was a bit overwhelming. So, had I read this book and tried to keep up with what was going on, I would have thrown in the towel. So, I had an Audible book credit, and need of a book I decided to give this one a shot. I'm glad I did, otherwise this would be sitting my shelf for even longer. 


If I was stuck reading this Better Homes and Hauntings, it would have been a hot mess. I'm sorry it would have been, but fortunately I had Amanda Ronconi doing the reading for me. YAY! Seriously, I love when she reads Molly Harpers work. They are a match made in heaven. Anyway. There's a lot going in this story. So here we go:

The Cast of Characters (They are an interregnal part of the story):
Deacon Whitney: The Billionaire who hired everyone that most of the important characters in the story. He wants to restore the family home. 
Nina Linden: The landscaper. This is her first real chance to get her business off the ground. She has an ex-boss lurking in the background trying to ruin things for her. 
Cindy Ellis: Owner of Cinderella Cleaning Service. Hired to clean and organize the house. 
Jake Rumson: Best friend to Deacon, and chief architect. 
Dotty Whitney: Cousin to Deacon, wants to write a story about the family, and the sordid past.
Catherine Whitney: Mistress of Crane's Nest a long time ago. People believed that she ran away from her husband to be with her lover. 
Gerald Whitney: Husband to Catherine. 
Jack Donovan: The architect of the Crane's Nest, and supposed the lover of Catherine.
Rick Douglas: Former boss to Nina.

Basically you have to keep track of most of these characters and their inner thoughts. However, all there thoughts and feelings center around the past with the three key players: Catherine, Gerald, and Jack. Along with that something is causing issues on the Crane's Nest trying to stop them from solving a mystery. Yes, there are a couple of Scooby Doo references going on in this story. 

Overall, Better Homes and Hauntings wasn't a bad read/listen, more like overload. I think story just had so much crammed into it that makes it a bit overwhelming. I love Molly's humor, but you have so much crammed in that it became hard to keep track everything. Along with that we have the past showing up, and we see bits and pieces of what was going on in the lives, and eventually we learn the truth of what truly happen. What happens in the past kind impacts the present day. We have a couple of love lines going in the story. We have Nina and Deacon budding romance, and Cindy and Jake's too. We learn that Jake and Cindy have past together. Nina and Deacon have a lot of similar interests, but afraid that their budding romance is influenced by the dark presence on the island. Dotty is there to them all figure out whats really going. A lot mashed into the story. Had I read this on my own, I probably would have decided to come back to a much later date. However, it was a fun listen. It works a lot better as an audiobook. There you have it. 

Copy provided by Pocket Books via NetGalley (purchase through Audible)

Rating:
3 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment