background

Sunday, January 5, 2014

Boots Under Her Bed by Jodi Thomas, Jo Goodman, Kaki Warner, & Alison Kent

I can honestly say that I haven't read too many Western Historical Romance. I know I have a few on my kindle and in my scary TBR case. So, I was lucky to win an early copy of Boots Under Her Bed by Jodi Thomas, Jo Goodman, Kaki Warner, and Alison Kent. So lets dive into stories.

Crazy Callie
Jodi Thomas

How many of you would go out trying to find a guy to marry, so you don't have your step-father have you commit you to asylum? I guess if you were put in that situation, you would do about anything. Well, Callie Ann Cramer actually went to find a drunk guy to marry her. The guy she found was Luke Morgan. Now Luke came out to Texas to marry another girl, but she was already moved on. Don't you hate when that happens. Now Luke is Callie saving grace.

So, Crazy Callie is basically a marriage of convenience story. Which I tend to have a soft for. Even though Luke was drunk, he was willing to take a chance on the town kook. However, he starts to see that there is more to Callie and vice versa. All though this is a quick read, it's still a pretty good story. I mean you have young woman trying to escape a tragic fate by marrying someone doesn't really know. Yes, there is a sappy ending. Hey, I love sappy endings.

Rating: 5 Stars

Nat Church and the Runaway Bride
Jo Goodman

In Nat Church and the Runaway Bride, we have Nat Church and he has been sent to fetch Felicity Ravenwood. Honestly, I was expecting her to put up more of a fight than what she did in the story. Granted she couldn't leave the train otherwise she wouldn't be able to get back on again. However, she was a clever young woman I wish she would have liked her to spar more with Nat. I guess I was looking for more tension in the story after all they were cooped up on a train. Anyway, it wasn't bad and the story was well written. However, it just didn't really capture my attention.

Rating: 2 Stars

The Scent of Roses
Kaki Warner

I have to say that The Scent of Roses was a lot of fun to read. Richard Whitmeyer and Rachel James who are both trying to find the criminals from Nebraska, but they suspect each of the crime. While on the train they are trying to figure out who did the crime. What makes this story funny was Richard has the typical guy thoughts when it comes to Rachel. Some are highly inappropriate, and he accidentally let some slip. Then you have Rachel who is clever and beautiful; a dangerous combination. Overall, a witty read and highly entertaining.

Rating: 4 1/2 Stars

The Hired Gun's Heiress
Alison Kent

In the The Hired Gun's Heiress, we find Zebulon Crow (Zeb) looking for Maeve Daugherty. He happens to find the runaway in a boardinghouse (a brothel). However, he wasn't task to find her, but her uncle Mick. Yet, he wanted to find her even if her parents didn't care enough about her. Honestly, this is a sweet story about a guy who likes a girl. He knows that she's way above him in station, but still cares enough to find her and save her. Overall, a sweet read.

Rating: 3 Stars

Overall, the stories in Boots Under Her Bed were mostly entertaining and sweet. So, if you are hankering for some westerns you might want to checkout this anthology to satisfy your hunger for westerns.

Copy provided by Author (Alison Kent)

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment