background

Thursday, May 21, 2015

The Daring Exploits of a Runaway Heiress by Victoria Alexander (Review)

Oh boy, where to begin. I have been dreading to write my thoughts for sometime. First off, I do love Victoria Alexander writing. She tends to have fun plots and characters, but I just couldn't get into this story. I tried, and I hoped it would get better. However, it fell flat from my expectations. So, here we go.

If you have been reading Millworth Manor books you would remember Lucy The Shocking Secret of a Guest at the Wedding. She use to be engaged to Jackson, but he ended up finding love. Now Lucy is all alone in London and she's going to make the most of this adventure. Okay, I'm all for that. You sense a but, and there is. Here we go. If you remember Lucy, she was the perfect heiress and didn't do anything wrong. She was calm and collective. Part of the reason she was like that was cause she grew up in a strict environment. What happens to a person when they have been given freedom? Yep, she goes wild, and with the help of a great-aunt's diary. Basically Lucy decides to do everything her aunt never got a chance to do. Some of the things were quite scandalous and others kind of tame. However, she's doing this in LONDON and in a way touting societal rules. She doesn't do this on purpose, but it has caught the ton attention. On some level I felt that she was acting like a spoiled child. I don't think I would have had a problem her doing the list that was created if she felt that it was more for her than her dead aunt.

Then we have Cameron. He was okay. However, he was looking for his big story to prove to his father that he was a good writer. So, he happens to hear about Lucy's exploits and feels that he should check them out. He gets mistaken as a detective to keep an eye on her. He kind comes off a bit pompous, but he's trying to keep an eye out on Lucy in a cagey way. Yes, it's wrong what he does, but he admires her spirit for doing the things she does. Slowly he develops a crush on her.

I thought story was a bit meh. It just didn't wow me like other stories. However, it's bound to happen. I felt a little bored at times while I was reading, and I didn't feel that Cameron and Lucy really connected romantically until the very end. Some will love this, and I just found the story okay. Will I stop reading Victoria's books? No, I still enjoy her writing. I look forward to other books. The writing was good, but I just didn't feel connected to the story.

Copy provided by Zebra via NetGalley

Rating:
2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment