background

Saturday, February 23, 2013

eARC: The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm

How would you feel if you happen to find yourself somewhere in the past? Would you be excited, scared or more like what the hell just happen? I think I would fall into the last category, what the hell just happen. Today's the selection are heroine just happens to find herself thrown into the past in The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl by Gina Lamm.

In Gina Lamm's novel, Jamie Marten happens to be dealing with a broken heart and what better way than to escape into the world of online gaming. However, her friend Leah needs her to go help Pawpaw Milton with his antiques. Nothing like working in a storage unit in the hot humid air of North Carolina. While she's working she stumbles upon bureau, she just happen to touch it when the bureau starts to pull her in. Now I would be scary out of my mind if an object started to yank me in to another area. Leaving the comforts of North Carolina to who knows where, when she notice a Colin Firth look alike. That actually sounds delightful.

Micah Axelby, Earl of Dunnington, just ended a relationship with psycho mistress Colette Dubois, when he notices a young girl in his room. Not ready for another mistress, but wanting to purse a marriage with Miss Felicity Lyons. Now we have a future girl stuck in 1816, this should get pretty interesting.

I have to say I chuckle throughout most of the book. First off, Jamie had no clue about the lifestyle in the 19th century. I'm sure she would have been better prepared had she ever read a historical romance novel, but then again it might not have been as entertaining if she had. Poor Jamie. Then you have Micah who is very autocratic, after all he's an earl and takes his earldom seriously. He's about to propose a girl of good breeding and we can't have any lingering scandals.

So, the idea of throwing a girl of the 21st century into the 19th century can be kind of scary if you have no idea what to do. Which leaves us Micah and Jamie with conflicting ideas, and it doesn't help that Jamie is so independent. To top it all off, let's toss in a psycho ex-Mistress and meddlesome housekeeper. Entertaining.

Overall, I quite enjoyed this story. I found it delightful and entertaining and I can't wait for more. However, there were a couple of slow parts, but other than that it was well written for having two unlikely characters thrown together. It's a story I plan to actually add to my collection and I could see myself re-reading the story. So, if you are looking for a historical novel with some modern verbiage you might want to read The Geek Girl and the Scandalous Earl. I leave you today and I hope you don't find yourself in some other time.

Copy provided by NetGalley via Sourcebooks

Rating:



Purchase Links:



No comments:

Post a Comment