Favorite Steamy Reads
Hi everyone and a big thanks to Melody for having me here today. If you don’t know me, I’m Jess Michaels and I write erotic historical romance! In fact, you are all getting me at the end of a very chaotic few weeks. You see, I just had two books out. On June 24, a novella that ended my Pleasure Wars series, Beautiful Distraction and then on July 15 I launched a new series, The Ladies Book of Pleasures with A Matter of Sin.
I love erotic romance, especially erotic historical romance. Not just writing it, either. I love reading it! In fact, when I asked Melody if she had a preferred blog topic, she mentioned listing my favorite steamy reads and I loved that idea since I’ve been reading a bunch of great erotic works lately. So I give you, my Top 7 Steamy Reads (listed honestly in no particular order):
1. Her Grace’s Stable by Joely Sue Burkhart. This book is bananas and I love it. It’s a space opera but is set in a world that is very much like a Regency or Victorian England. So it feels a little historical, too. I never thought I’d love a book with a dominant heroine and a set of heroes who engage in horse play (which you’ll understand if you read the book). But I did! Really fun book.
2. Their Virgin Hostage by Shayla Black. This one is a contemporary with a bit of romantic suspense element. The heroine is kidnapped by a set of three friends bent on revenge against her fiancé. He’s a jerk and they’re a set of dominant males who like to share. And it’s pretty hot. More than pretty hot. It’s STEAMY.
3. One Night of Surrender by Evie North. A historical about a man condemned to die and a woman allowed just one night with him before he’s taken to the gallows. There’s a desperate undertone to this book and a delicate development of the relationship that is just awesome. Plus, I honestly wasn’t sure how it was going to work out, so it’s super emotional.
4. The First Sinners by Kate Pearce. This is the novella prequel to Kate Pearce’s The Sinners Club series, I just loved this one. Kate writes such awesome sexy scenes. You kind of HAVE to read it. And it’s historical.
5. The Duke’s Match Girl by Lila DiPasqua. Like historicals, but are tired of the usual settings? Well, this book is set in FRANCE. Bam. And it’s super hot and I learned a lot about perfume, of all things, when reading it. Honestly, Lila is one of the best erotic writers out there. If you haven’t read her, do it.
6. The All-Seeing Eye by Eliza Lloyd. Another historical and wow, one of my favorite reads of this year so far! Her heroine has the gift of sight. She is burdened with it and just doesn’t want to use it against the man she loves. But their affair is so erotic and their love really seems doomed. It’s a really special read.
7. The Erotic Adventures of Jane in the Jungle by Colette Gale – This is actually a series of 5 books so far and WOW. SO HOT. Colette is a bit famous for her erotic retellings of classic stories and the rest of hers are on my TBR pile because I have adored this series! Here are the titles: Entwined, Entangled, Enthralled, Enticed, Enamored.
And there you have it! I hope you’ll check them all out and enjoy them as much as I did.
Now I ask you, what’s YOUR favorite steamy read?
A little about Jess:
Jess Michaels began writing full-time in 1999 after being encouraged by her husband to follow her dream. In 2003, she sold her first novella to Red Sage Press, and erotic historical romance about an Egyptian tomb and a very sexy curse. Since then she has published 37 novels and novellas under three different pen names with several major publishers, small presses and via self-publsihing. Her erotic historical romances have been national bestsellers and won awards from booksellers and readers.
Published: June 2014
Series: The Pleasure Wars, 4
It has been a particularly trying day for Olivia Cranfield. Despite her impeccable manners, stylish clothing and posh accent, another protector has detected her lowborn status and rejected her out of hand.
When fellow courtesan Violet invites her to come to Bath to help with the wicked seduction of the scarred, reclusive Earl of Windbury, Olivia jumps at the offer, eager for some excitement and a change of scenery.
The moment Malcolm Graham lays eyes on the delectable woman lurking in the bathhouse alley, he knows she’s a decoy to keep him busy while her friend seduces the earl inside. For a moment, he allows her to play her game…but one touch, and all he can think about is ending the two years of self-denial he’s endured in the name of friendship.
Instant attraction quickly turns into a decidedly erotic affair that makes Olivia question all she’s ever known about passion. But when the truth behind Violet’s assignment comes to light, betrayal threatens to bring everything they’ve built crashing down around Olivia’s broken heart.Warning: This book contains a lady lying for a good cause, a gentleman as loyal to his friends as he is passionate in the bedchamber, and a steamy affair that will change them both forever.
A Matter of Sin
Published: July 2014
Series: Ladies' Book of Pleasure, 1
The widowed Lady Isabel Avenbury has one remaining younger sister to shepherd into an advantageous marriage, and then she will be free. Free to take a lover to fill her lonely nights—the only option left for a woman on the delicate edge of a certain age.
Except when she chaperones her sister to a country house party, she is taken aback by her sudden, undeniable attraction to the host. And deliciously scandalized when she finds a copy of the notorious, much-gossiped-about Ladies Book of Pleasures in his library.
When Seth Rowland, Marquis Lyndham, notices his book is missing, his interest is piqued as to which of the potential young brides at his party has absconded with it—and he’s shocked to discover it’s Isabel. Though older than the women he’d planned to court, the powerful beauty exudes a sensuality he cannot ignore.
The book inspires them to begin a desperate, passionate affair. But their time together is running out and they must choose. Follow society’s rules, or take a chance at love.
Warning: Found within are highly scandalous books that trigger passionate desires, surrender in the orangery and possibly true love.