background

Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Edge of Obsession by Megan Crane (Review)

I don't know where to begin with Megan Crane's Edge of Obsession. Truth be told I didn't read the blurb, because all could focus on was the tats, chest, and abs. You could say I was blinded by the cover. Since I didn't read the blurb, and jumped into the story without any knowledge of the story, I was surprise to find out it was a futuristic dystopia. So, we have us a dystopia with a lot of sex.

Basically, we have two societies in the story. One is the mainland, while the other was on island. However, in both societies woman are view as a commodity to serve men. In the mainland they view the woman as broodmares and if they can't produce they are cast out. While in the raiders land woman are viewed more as sex slaves. The societies seem advance and at the same time primitive. You get the feeling that it's a bit barbaric. For the first 75% of the book is establishing the society, and this is where we meet Tyr and Helena.

Tyr and Helena are both strong characters. I think you all need to know that Tyr basically takes Helena as her captive, so I start to wonder if Stockholm Syndrome starts to set in Helena. She starts to lose some of her strong character and become passive, and willing to do Tyr's bidding. At the beginning the story, Helena needs to accomplish her mission that her parents tried to do before they died. So, Helena mission becomes something the raiders are going to work on together. Yes, the series will continue.

I'm hopeful that we will get more of the plot than the culture of Edge of Obsession. Things I did like about the story, I liked how Helena and Tyr are both strong characters. I wish Helena kept her strong attitude as the story progress. I guess we had her submit to Tyr. She was willing to sacrifice herself for her sister even though she's kind of selfish. A lot of Alpha-holes, and hoping that we might have more character development. Not a big fan of the sex scenes overshadowing the plot. Don't get me wrong I don't mind sex scenes, but I do like a strong plot to coincide. I'm hopeful that it will tone down and develop plot and get to see more of the reestablish so it's not so primitive. I understand that this is a dystopia and all, but where did all the diseases go. Had they all been eradicated, because in said sex scenes there is no condoms. This is something I'm curious on, and I'm probably the only one.

Overall, I'm not sure what I was expecting on Edge of Obsession. I'm hopeful that it we will see more of a plot. This story didn't quite work for me, but it work for others. I think this depends on the person.

Copy provided by St. Martin via NetGalley

Rating:
2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment