background

Saturday, November 15, 2014

One Good Earl Deserves a Lover by Sarah MacLean

I do love Sarah MacLean books, but when One Good Earl Deserves a Lover came out I was kind of leery to start reading, because of all the mix reviews on it. I didn't read the reviews, but just heard about them. So, I just wasn't ready to read One Good Earl Deserves a Lover, and just decided to put it off. Now I have put it off long enough and decided to crack it open.

So, we have Pippa who has been:
Being labeled the strangest Marbury from such a young age allowed for one to develop something of a thick skin. It took much more than snickers from behind fans to rouse Pippa's embarrassment.  
Yes, she is odd, but I can't put my finger on why I think she's odd and different. It's more than her bluestocking tendency, because it's extreme and to the point that she doesn't realize the things around her. She went about getting married logically and cause Castleton asked her. However, as the date drew closer she wanted answer that no one would give her, so she decided to approach Cross who she has logically thought out to be the best solution. I adore Cross, he thought her utterly mad when she approached him on her ludicrous idea. Yet, Pippa is one determine person when she wants answers. I love that she drove Cross batty with finding loopholes to their agreement, which forces Cross to cave.

Cross. Well, he started out life as Jasper Arlesey the second son of the Earl of Harlow. He was quite happy being the rogue, the spare, the ne'er do well kind of guy. Of course this all changed one night when his brother dies and sister is seriously injured, and having his father stating
"It should have been you."
I get that his father was grieving the lost of heir, but completely out of line to it should have been his precious heir to die. Shortly after he became Cross. I have no problem with Pippa not knowing who Cross was and it boils back to her character (and the whole I can't pinpoint the issue).

Anyway, I enjoyed One Good Earl Deserves a Lover, because the characters. You have Pippa who wants to understand everything before fully accepting things as they are. The whole idea of love is such an emotional feeling that she doesn't comprehend, because it's not logical. Pippa has a very analytical mind. Yes, it's a bit ludicrous to trust a rake. However, on some level Cross is a safe choice, but he is challenge when Pippa calls out to his protective side. I like that he struggle with restraint, but Pippa saw as she was truly unappealing. A few times I was crying cause Pippa being highly intelligent struggle, granted she didn't care what the Society thought of her. When it came to the guys in her life she was hurt, because she didn't think they saw than what society saw of her. So, yeah I had the water works reading this story. Overall, I did enjoyed the book. I liked that Pippa was different, and I liked Cross, because deep down he was a good guy. However, he was afraid to show. In the end everyone is going to have their own opinion of the book, and the only one that matters is the one you have of the story.

Favorite Lines:
“Temptation turns you. It makes you into something you never dreamed, it presses you to give up everything you ever loved. It calls you to sell you soul for one, fleeting moment.”
 “It makes you ache,” he whispered, and she watched the curve of his lips in the darkness. “You’ll make any promise, swear any oath. For one… perfect… unsoiled taste.”

Rating:
4 1/2 Stars


2 comments:

  1. Lovely review!! I really liked this one, but I agree about the heroine, I didn't know what to think of her at first...but she grew on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you finally read it -- this was my favorite of the series (well, I haven't read the last book yet), but I agree with both you and Renee -- the heroine was . . . different. :D

    ReplyDelete