background

Thursday, April 24, 2014

How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days by Laura Lee Guhrke

A few days ago I finished How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days by Laura Lee Guhrke. If you loved the movie How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days this story isn't like the movie.

Basically, Edie needs to find someone to marry that is willing to comply to her wishes. She finds Duke of Margrave (Stuart) and he's willing to do whatever Edie wishes as long as she fills his coffers. We jump ahead five years, and Stuart returns wanting to make a real marriage with his wife. Edie is upset with his sudden appearance and tries to run. They make a deal and of course it's for ten days.

That's the simple explanation of the story and I have to say that I did enjoyed the story. However, I have come to realize that it sometimes it takes a little time to get into a Laura Lee Guhrke story. Sometimes you hit the ground running and others you just have to wait and see what happens. How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days is a more wait and see kind of book. Don't get me wrong I did enjoy the book. I just know that sometimes as readers we tend to want things to happen right away. How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days is more a building kind of story.

When I started reading How to Lose a in Ten Days, I had a hard time liking Edie. All I kept thinking was "just tell your husband what happen to you and move on." After reading what happen to her, I felt like a jerk. Just telling Stuart what happen to her wasn't going to be a simple thing to do, so I started to feel sympathy for her. Now Stuart, I adore. He was just so sweet and supporting and willing to wait for Edie to come around. Patience of a saint would be a good description of Stuart. I love how he was willing to take things as far as what would make Edie feel comfortable. Stuart just started to win over everyone, and slowly Edie started to trust her husband.

Honestly, Laura Lee Guhrke is a marvelous writer and the payout is usually worth the build. Overall, I'm pleased with how the story worked out. I absolutely love Stuart and I did warm to Edie. So, if you are looking for a patient hero who is willing to do anything to win his wife over, you might give How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days.

Even though How to Lose a Duke in Ten Days is a second book in a series, it can be read as a stand alone.

Copy provided by Avon via Edelweiss.

Rating:

No comments:

Post a Comment