background

Saturday, August 22, 2015

The Prince and I by Karen Hawkins (Review)

First and foremost, I must say that the Grand Duchess, known to her grandson's as Tata Natasha is a menace to society and they seriously need to lock her up. She seems to find herself in a pickle every time. It also doesn't help that she's stubborn as a mule and she threatens everyone that she's not happy with to turn them into a goat. Glad to clear the air and on Tata, now I better hide before she turns me into a goat.

Okay, I couldn't put The Prince and I down. Seriously, I almost read this in one day. I thought this is a fun read. Then again I love the story of Robin Hood. There are so many versions out there, but my personal favorite one would be the Disney one. However, I'm digressing here. Basically, The Prince and I is a retelling of Robin Hood, but with a slight twist. Instead of the Prince being Robin we have Lady Murian who takes from the rich to give her band widows and children. I love how she does, because she doesn't force them to give up their possessions merely asks for donation for their cause. You have to admit that is pretty clever. So, we see Prince Gregori Maksim Alexsandr Romanovin (Max) is intrigued by this lady and decides to find out what is going. When he finds out, he feels duty bound to help Murian. Such a strong character. I absolutely love Murian's character, because during her adversity she didn't wilt and decide to give up. Which would have been totally easy, NO, she decided to fight for what was right even taken on the evil Earl of Loudan. The man is evil. He really played up the Prince John type character. You didn't see Loudan a lot in the story, but mainly his actions. Very sleazy guy, especially when he conned Tata in giving up a priceless heirloom. See Tata needs to be stop from herself. I feel bad for her grandsons.

Overall, Karen does an amazing job on retelling Robin Hood. I love that she changed the male protagonist in Robin Hood to a female. This makes it a unique retelling of the story. We see the witty conversation between Max and Murian. I have to say that was surprise by some of the parts of the story in a good way. However, I think one of my favorite parts of the story would have to be when Max figures out Murian was the bandits they came across on the way to the castle. He basically goads her, by saying the bandits had a malodorous. I lost it right there, because Murian was getting offended. Seriously, a light fun read, and will have you smiling at the end. I can't wait to see what kind of trouble Tata Natasha will cook up in the next book.

Copy provided by PocketBooks via NetGalley

Rating:
5 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment