background

Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Audiobook Review: Sweet Tea and Sympathy by Molly Harper

I feel like I'm in minority when it comes to my thoughts on Sweet Tea and Sympathy. I can't really say that I liked it, but more like I tolerated. It kind of saddens me that I can't say I loved this story, because I had the dynamic duo of Harper and Ronconi; alas, this story fell short for me.

There are usually a lot of characters in Molly's book, which I'm totally fine. However it was the main character I couldn't stand. I was hoping that after the second time of re-listen I would grow to like her. Nope. I still wanted to throat puncher. She comes off so arrogant and snobby that I couldn't stand her. Yes, she had Big City oozing off her, but she wasn't likable. She had an ultimate goal of getting the heck out of dodge when the first opportunity came available. Everyone knew that she was leaving, because she let everyone know. That grated on my nerves a bit. The next issue I had with the story was her relationship was with her father. I get that she had daddy issues, but she wasn't willing to talk with the man for most of the book. Can't solve the issue if you don't talk to the man. However, my main issue was with Margot Cary.

The things I liked were the family, Kyle Archer's children (they were adorable), and the rest of the dynamic of the story. However, my sore spot was Margot, and she didn't even become tolerable until the end. Sweet Tea and Sympathy was a rough listen, even the second go around. I seriously thought I find some nuance that make me enjoy the story more, nope. So, wrong. I got to a point where I was like I need stop before I want to throw my phone. Yes, I was in the minority about not enjoying the story. Maybe I should go back and re-listen to the Nice Girls books or the Half-Moon Hallow. This is totally up to you if you want to pursue. I might try the next book, because I absolutely thought Frankie was a hoot in the story. This is my thoughts on Sweet Tea & Sympathy. I couldn't mustered sympathy for Margot when her life hit the bottom. Didn't happen. Maybe if she was a little nicer I could have.

Rating;
2 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment