background

Saturday, May 13, 2017

The Bad Luck Bride by Janna MacGregor (Review)

All right I was super excited to get a chance to read The Bad Luck Bride, I mean it sounded like it be fun. Here's the blurb:

All were shocked at the announcement of the “cursed” Lady Claire Cavensham to Lord Alexander Hallworth, the Marquess of Pembrooke, especially since she is already engaged to another unfortunate Lord. Perhaps she will make it to the altar this time with one of these fine gentlemen! —Midnight Cryer

No one is left breathless at the imperious pronouncement of her engagement to Lord Pembrooke more than Claire. She hardly knows the dangerously outrageous man! But after three engagements gone awry and a fourth going up in glorious flames, she isn’t in a position to refuse...

Alexander requires the hand of his enemy’s fiancĂ©e in marriage in order to complete his plans for revenge. It’s his good fortune that the “cursed” woman is desperate. However, what begins as a sham turns into something scandalously deeper...

By all means the story sounds pretty good, I mean we have a curse and revenge. However, The Bad Luck Bride wasn't what I was expecting. I honestly thought it would play up more of the revenge plot, but the more I read the revenge thing kind of disappear. By the way, it had to because of the circumstances of the story. What boils down about this story is a lack of communication and being honest, which is a horrible way to start a marriage. I had a hard time with Lady Claire for most of the book. A lot of that has to deal with the fact she couldn't open up with what causes her panic attacks. This is one the things she should have told her husband from the get go. Oh well. Pembrooke should have told Claire after they were marry why he did what he did. However, he never did. We find both of them afraid to communicate. There's a lot of miscommunication. Other than that issue, the writing was pretty good, and actually Claire's cousins sounds quite interesting. So, I'm curious about them.

Overall, I struggled with The Bad Luck Bride. I liked the beginning, and I thought the ending was sweet. The middle was a little rough. Am I willing try the next book, sure. You never know I might be surprised with the next one. Anyway, the story didn't work for me, but there are others who absolutely loved it.

Copy provided by St. Martin via NetGalley

Rating:
2 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment