background

Thursday, September 23, 2021

Audiobook Review: Virgin River by Robyn Carr

I'm starting to find myself reading the books that were made into movies or series. Whoops. However, it's getting me to checkout other series I would never read. This is true for Robin Carr's Virgin River series. My husband have totally watched all the seasons that are on Netflix, and I think he's hooked. Since I'm waiting for the next season, I decided to listen to Virgin Rivers books.

Now if you plan to checkout this series you need to be prepared that the series has been modify quite a bit.  I think it's fine if you watch the series then read the book, but you need to expected to be different from the series. There is quite a few changes in the story. Actually a lot. Now my thoughts on the first book Virgin River

We have Melinda Monroe needing a change from her current situation. She need to shake things up, and move up to Virgin River. Going from L.A. to North California is a culture shock. SoCal and North Cal is different. Yes, they are both in California, but it would be culture shock, and Mel definitely felt completely lost. Granted she was not expecting a dump upon arrival. She slowly finds her way to stay up in Virgin River. Now it doesn't hurt that the handsome Jack Sheridan has taken an interest in Mel and wants to keep her there. He and others make it pretty impossible for Mel to want to leave a piece of heaven.

Okay, I wouldn't really call this a small town romance, because it's basically smaller than a town. It's less than 100 people. Small area, but I think the plan is to build up Virgin River. I mean they have to, because there's 20 something books. I think eventually it will be a small town. The story is like bar in Cheers where everybody knows your name, and they know your business. I'm going to be honest Mel's not my favorite character, and Jack is all right. They didn't really win me over, but I'm curious enough to see how this all plays out. So, yes, I'm going to continue the series. 

My advice on this series is you have to want to be invested in the story. I mean there are over 20 books, and the stories characters intertwine in the series. Yes, it will be beneficial to read the story in chronological order, because you are basically building a town. After listen to other books, they characters are going to be integrated into the story. Yes, you will be seeing other side plots. You need to commit if you are going to do this. Overall, it wasn't a bad read, and we have starting point. 

Copy provided by local library

Rating: 3 1/2 Stars

No comments:

Post a Comment